The Teacher Feature is meant to highlight our current teachers. We have an amazingly diverse staff and we encourage you to get to know them!
- What class or classes do you teach?
Year 11 and 12 Prevocational Mathematics
Year 9 Digital Media
Year 11 and 12 students doing outside school programs
Duke of Edinburgh Coordinator
- How long have you been working at Northpine?
This is my 21st year – I started when they put on a teacher as they added Year 12 to the college.
- How did you first discover you wanted to be a teacher?
Both my parents were teachers and so I had some background to what teaching was about. However, it was not until I was in senior school and started to think seriously about what I wanted to do that I then decided to complete a teaching degree as I found that helping people was something that was very enjoyable.
- Where are you originally from?
I spend the first years of my life on the tablelands in North Queensland and I still have a lot of family there as well. We lived in Malanda and then Ravenshoe before my family became Seventh-day Adventists and we moved to Sydney. We then moved to Newcastle and I finished my schooling in Murwillumbah SDA School.
- What might we be surprised to know about you?
It might be surprising that I took a “gap” year between Year 10 and 11. This was at a time before “gap” years were a thing to do but I was not sure if school was the place I wanted to be. During this time I went to the Solomon Islands with a Dentist as a labourer moving his equipment about and at other times just labouring at various jobs.
- If you could time travel, where and when would you go?
I love the stories in the Bible but often wonder what it would actually be like to be there. There are so many of them it would really be hard for me to pick one. There is:-
- The Creation week – I would just love to watch this happen
- Moses taking the children of Israel through the plagues and then out of Egypt
- When David killed the giant and then up to the time he became king
- I would love to walk around with Elijah and then Elisha to see how God worked through them
- Of course there was the time of Jesus right through to the time of Paul
As you can see there are a lot of stories I would love to actually be there to witness.
- What’s one great book or movie you’ve read or seen recently?
I have just read a book with the strangest title: “Sneezing Jesus – The Infectious Allure of the Human God” by Brian Hardin. A couple of quotes I really liked:-
“So what if we are sneezing Jesus? What if the presence of the risen Saviour were the residue we left behind – a trail of love that infected everyone?”
“The love of Jesus can spread like a virus, but we cannot share that which we do not possess.”
I pray that through my life I may infect others with Jesus.
- Which person, directly or indirectly, has inspired you the most?
There have been so many people who have inspired me but the one who stands above the others and continues to inspire me to be the best I can be is my wife.
- What is the most beautiful place you have ever been?
I recently went to Canada and saw the wide open spaces there and was truly taken back by the majesty of the mountains and scenery. It was an amazing place – the Canadian Rockies.
- What is the best advice that you can give to your students?
Again I quote from “Sneezing Jesus” – “Right NOW is part of eternity. This sin-infested cesspool of humanity is our species. Right now matters. Being human matters.” Live your life today as though it mattered even when life throws you all sorts of inhumane stuff to deal with and know that God is ALWAYS there for you.